"The little nut that could"
Soap Nuts are a fruit grown on the Rittha Tree (Sapindus Mukorossi), also known as the Chinese Soapberry Tree, which grows in India and Nepal. When the fruit ripens and falls from the tree, local families harvest them and remove the inner fruit from the outer shell. The shell is then dried in the sun, using no chemical or manufacturing processes. The shell of the fruit has a protective waxy coating which contains saponin. When the soapnut is used to wash clothes, the saponin acts as a water surfactant reducing the surface tension of the water and freeing the dirt, grime and oils from the clothing, leaving your clothes clean and fresh without the use of any harmful synthetic products.
The locals of India have been using the soap nuts for centuries as a safe and effective way to clean their clothes. Kaley's Soap Nuts are ethically sourced from India.
Various uses for Soap Nuts:
- For your Laundry:
Place 2-3 whole soap nuts (or equivalents if using halves) in the re-usable cotton bag and place it in your wash. If using cold water or have very dirty clothes, use 4-5 soap nuts (or equivalents if using halves). Soap Nuts used in warm water can be re-used 2-3 times, cold water 4-5 times. Take the soap nuts out of the cotton bag and let them air-dry between each use. Once the soap nuts have been used to their potential they can either be boiled with water to make a cleaning solution or thrown into your compost. If you prefer scented laundry, put a few drops of essential oil on the wash bag. If your whites need to be whitened, add some vinegar to the wash. Soap nuts are low sudsing which make them ideal for High Efficiency front load washers.
- Add your soap nuts in the cotton bag to your dishwasher cutlery tray to clean your dishes.
- To make an all-purpose liquid cleaning solution:
Take 7-8 soap nuts and place in a saucepan with 4 cups of water. Bring to a boil, then let simmer for 10 minutes. Pour the liquid into a container and throw the used soap nuts in your compost. You may strain the liquid if you prefer. The solution will last for about 3 months. Keep refrigerated to last longer. This liquid does not contain many suds so it can be added to a pump bottle to create additional suds.
This liquid can be used to:
- Wash your hair.
- Clean floors/carpets, bathrooms, cars, pets, etc.
- Add to water and spray on plants, clean vegetables and fruits of pesticides, rinse food before eating.
Advantages of Soap Nuts:
- The safest, most natural laundry soap available on the market today.
- Soap Nuts are an environmentally friendly, sustainable, bio-degradable and renewable product that can be composted after use.
- Anti-microbial, making it suitable for septic systems.
- Hypoallergenic - Suitable for people with sensitive skin and allergies, also safe for babies.
- Economical – approximately 50% cheaper than other eco-products.
- Multifunctional – Boil soap nuts to make a general cleaning solution for cleaning floors/carpets, pets, cars, dishes and even your hair.
- Sustainable – Soapberry Trees live up to 90 years and the wood and foliage of the tree are also cultivated. No waste, no de-forestation.
- No need for fabric softener.
- Colors remain bright and vibrant.
- Supports local people and economy.
Phosphate Free – Save our Rivers and Streams!!